Monday, 16 February 2009

Year 2009: First model finished


Well, this weekend I’ve finally managed to get some time to spend on my minis. At first I had planned to start painting my Wraithlord, but eventually I just added on it some “extras” while I finished the paintjob of my first Vyper with some freehands. After that I gave it a couple of coats of varnish and took a few pictures to post them here, but before I played a bit with Photoshop again … I still have to find a satisfactory way to process my pics, but I feel that this has been a step forwards.



This model also means my first five points awarded for finishing miniatures this year! Wooooooo!! Well, to be sincere this model has actually been mostly painted in late 2008, but I’m gonna give me the points as Admiral Drax does – it doesn’t matter how long it takes, it does when it is done! And I’ve spent no less than three hours this weekend on it, so I think this is perfectly justified.

I guess I’ll start with the Wraithlord this weekend. It’s one of my favourite models of the Eldar army, and I’ve added my “personal touch” on it… more on this in a few days :)

8 comments:

Admiral Drax said...

What beautiful paintwork! However did you get that mottled effect?

- Drax (jealous)

Siph_Horridus said...

Awesome looking (even if it is heretic alien scum). Ha, great paint job and i'm liking the photoshop efforts.

Equinox said...

I really like the contrast between the gunners helmet and the general color of the vyper.

73rd said...

Awesome model, I like the paint work especially. It's similar if not better than one of the armies I have seen in the 40k rulebook. Haven't got it with me for reference, but great work mate!

Sidestreaker said...

That model looks fantastic!

I love the color combination and definately looks better than the ones in codex.

Great work!

Fritz said...

Fantastic!

jabberjabber said...

Terrific job! Can you let us in to your secret of how to get that mottled look?

Juahn F'rann said...

Hi guys, thanks for the nice words :) The mottled effect is very simple to achieve: I painted the model first dark blue, then I used a middle-dark blue to paint spots all over the dark blue, leaving some areas unpainted; then I used a middle blue and painted spots again; then I came back to the dark blue and did the same; and went around this a couple of times more until I was satisfied with the result. The spots were painted hitting randomly the model with the tip (just the tip) of an old and soft brush that still was a bit sharp, having the paint diluted but consistent. It’s a rather careless painting technique, but I like the results very much. To finish the blue I painted (washed) very dark blue in the recesses of the armor platings and painted a few carefully placed highlights with bright blue in thin strokes. That’s all; it took me no more than four hours (gunner included).